Friday, May 28, 2010

Website overhaul

I guess this counts as another blog post (wow, already?). I had been working on a new website for past two days. My previous website was made entirely in MS Publisher (yes, you can laugh uncontrollably now) and ever since I switched over to Linux I could no longer use it. Besides, although as simple as it looked, MS Publisher generates seriously ugly and large code to do even simple stuff. So maintaining it was not so simple. Also, it seems that MS Publisher takes great care in making sure that the pages render correctly in IE only. Other browsers didn't render some of the stuff as simple as bullet lists correctly. Besides, at the time, I didn't knew any CSS or whatever it did. This meant that layouts had been duplicated across all of the pages which made pages even larger and more complex. So finally, I decided to dedicate some time to this.

So I quickly learned some CSS (and quickly forgot it) and had wrote a nice minimalistic template. I already knew some (X)HTML so made a little template. So, then using gedit and little bit of KompoZer I "ported" my old website to this new design/template. Also made sure that my site was XHTML 1.0 Strict validating. However, if there is a standard for CSS, it may not get passed (because my CSS knowledge is limited and I am noob at that still).

So, the new site was done today. Its now lighter, faster, pleasant looking to the eyes yet minimal. It should also be rendered correctly in all browsers (though I've only checked Firefox). Source should be easy to understand too (though KompoZer seems to have messed up the indentation, ffffff....).

Anyways, thats all for now. Hopefully you'll like the newer design. Please report any broken links or any other suggestion that you may have.

stay safe,

AamirM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More entries, please!